Derriford Hospital in Plymouth will be opening its doors to everyone on Saturday 19 March for the Open Day 2016 event
Everyone is welcome to go along to the hospital between 10am and 2pm and see what goes on at theTrust.
The event offers something for everyone, including:
• Step inside an operating theatre
• Meet hospital military staff
• Bring your Teddy Bear to the Teddy Bear Hospital
• Visit the Careers Fair
• Try hands on resuscitation practice
• Learn about Derriford's Surgical Robot
• How clean is your mobile? Staff will swab it and find out
• Take on a nutrition test
• Find out about medical research and take part in a fun mini-trial
• Hop aboard the Patient Experience bus!
• Discover the Discovery Library & Plymouth Medical Society’s Historic Collection
• iLiveiGive... find out more about organ and blood donation
• Go for a behind the scenes tour
• Have a health check
• Try a taste of hospital food
• Moving you safely: the Manual Handling Team explain how
• A tour of the incinerator
• A nature walk through Bircham Valley
• Light a candle and enjoy a moment of peace in the chapel
• ...and much more!
There is no need to book. Just turn up and you will be welcomed.
Amanda Nash, Head of Communications and the organiser of the event, said: “Our last Open Day, in 2013, attracted thousands of visitors and was a great success. We hope to repeat that this year and have even more interesting stands and interactive displays spread around our site.
“For the first time this year we have developed an Open Day app so that everyone can see what is going on, where and when by simply downloading it onto their mobile phone. For those who are not smart phone users we will also share an Open Day programme via our blog.
“On the day we will also be providing maps in the programmes and there will be signposts and volunteers around the hospital to make sure you can find what you’re looking for.
“Please do come and join us and bring your family and friends. Whether we are your local hospital or your nearest specialist centre, we hope we can help you find out a little bit more.”
You can also find out the latest information by following the blog: http://plymouthhospitalsblog.org/.
This event has been made possible through the support of Charitable Funds Committee and some of the many, many generous donations given to the hospital by patients and their families.